Loans are available for students or parents to borrow to help pay educational expenses. All loans are subject to individual student eligibility and fund availability. Borrowing should be done conservatively to avoid heavy loan debt and the potential for default.
Federal Direct Loans
UNM-Gallup is part of the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans Program effective as of July 1, 2010. UNM-Gallup offers Federal Direct Loans, which are fixed-rate federal student loans for undergraduates and graduate students attending college at least half-time. Students must be admitted as "degree-seeking" and must be enrolled at least half-time to qualify for federal student loans.
Subsidized Direct Loans
No interest access while you are in school.
Unsubsidized Direct Loans
Not need based interest access while you are in school.
Eligibility Requirements for Federal Student Loans:
- Complete FAFSA
- Complete Financial Aid File
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards
- Be enrolled at least half-time
- Be admitted to a degree-seeking program
- Not have a current Defaulted Student Loan
- Complete Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (First-Time Borrowers)
Maximum eligibility period to receive Direct Subsidized Loans:
There is a limit on the maximum period of time that you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans. In general, you may not receive Direct Subsidized Loans for more than 150% of the published length of your program. This is called your "maximum eligibility period".
Applying for Loans
- To apply for a loan, pick up the form from the Financial Aid office or submit it online:
- For information on interest rates, or student loans (interest rates repayment) visit: