Associate of Applied Science in Nursing
(73 Credit Hours)
Information for Future Students
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Nursing is designed to provide the student with the necessary knowledge and skills to provide safe and effective nursing care. Upon completion of the program, the graduate is eligible to take the NCLEX-RN licensing examination to become a registered nurse. Admission requirement for the Nursing Program includes:
Completion of all prerequisite courses with a “C” or better, and 2.75 pre-requisite GPA** or higher for prerequisites.
- Acceptable scores on the TEAS admission exam
- Total/Composite Score: 58.7% or higher, and
- Reading sub-test Score: 69% or higher, and
- Science sub-test Score: 52% or higher.
- All three scores must be on one test. Mixing different test results is not accepted. And the test must have been taken within 1 year of the admission application due dates.
- Enrollment is limited and admission is competitive
- Consult with the Nursing Program Advisor for current transferability information.
- Course transfers to UNM-Gallup from other colleges must be done one semester prior to applying to the program.
Students interested in applying for the Associate of Applied Science in Nursing must contact the nursing program advisor to set up an appointment.
- The nursing program advisor will evaluate the student’s course record to determine if the student is on track in completing the pre-requisite courses while meeting the pre-requisite GPA requirement.
- If the student is at their last semester of pre-requisites, the nursing program advisor will advise the student to take the ATI TEAS exam during the semester before they plan to apply.
- If the student passes the ATI TEAS exam, the student will be given instructions to apply for admission to the AASN degree program.
Application due dates effective starting January 2022:
- Fall term application submission period:
- Mar 15 to May 1
- Spring term application submission period
- Aug 1 to Sept 15
Associate of Applied Science in Nursing Program of Study
ENGL 1110 COMPOSITION I
PSYC 1110 INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY
BIOL 1310/1310L INTRO TO HUMAN ANATOMY AND PHYS I/LAB
CHEM 1120C INTRO TO CHEMISTRY FOR NON-MAJORS*
HCHS 123 HUMAN GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
MATH 1215 Intermediate Algebra or MATH 1220 College AlgebraTOTAL
NMNC 1110 INTRODUCTION TO NURSING CONCEPTS
NMNC 1135 PRINCIPLES OF NURSING PRACTICE
NURS 239 PATHOPHYSIOLOGY I
BIOL 1320 INTRO TO HUMAN ANATOMY AND PHYS IITOTAL
NMNC 1210 HEALTH & ILLNESS CONCEPTS I
NMNC 1220 HEALTH CARE PARTICIPANT
NMNC 1235 ASSESSMENT & HEALTH PROMOTION
NMNC 1230 NURSING PHARMACOLOGY
NURS 240 PATHOPHYSIOLOGY IITOTAL
NMNC 2310 HEALTH & ILLNESS CONCEPTS II
NMNC 2320 PROFESSIONAL NURSING CONCEPTS
NMNC 2335 CARE OF PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC CONDITIONS
ENGL 1120 COMPOSITION IITOTAL
NMNC 2410 HEALTH & ILLNESS CONCEPTS III
NMNC 2435 CLINICAL INTENSIVE I
NMNC 2445 ADN CAPSTONETOTAL
*CHEM 1120C requires MATH 1215 or MATH 1220 or higher as a prerequisite.
**Prerequisite courses in Bold text are used to calculate for the pre-requisite GPA
UNM-G Associate Degree in Nursing Achievement data:
|UNMG Associate Degree in Nursing Student Achievement Data for 2019|
|NCLEX-RN 1st time pass rate for calendar year 2019: 83.33%|
2017 student program completion:
(Admitted Spring 2017 and completed nursing courses within 6 semesters): Did not admit students for Spring 2017
(Admitted Fall 2017 and completed nursing course within 6 semesters): 60%
|UNMG Associate Degree in Nursing Student Achievement Data for 2020|
|NCLEX-RN 1st time pass rate for calendar year 2020: 89.29%|
2018 Student program completion:
(Admitted Spring 2018 and completed nursing courses on time within 4 semesters): 79%(Admitted Fall 2018 and completed nursing course on time within 4 semesters): 56%
|UNMG Associate Degree in Nursing Student Achievement Data for 2021|
|NCLEX-RN 1st time pass rate for calendar year 2021: 73.68%|
2019 Student program completion:
(Admitted Spring 2019 and completed nursing courses on time within 4 semesters): 75%(Admitted Fall 2019 and completed nursing course on time within 4 semesters): 78%
|UNMG Associate Degree in Nursing Student Achievement Data for 2022|
|NCLEX-RN 1st time pass rate for calendar year 2022: TBA|
2020 Student program completion:
(Admitted Spring 2020 and completed nursing courses on time within 4 semesters): 54%(Admitted Fall 2020 and completed nursing course on time within 4 semesters): 54%