My current research centers on Indigenous poet and writer Simon J. Ortiz (Acoma Pubelo) in particular, and on representations of reservation border towns more generally. My essay "Poetry and Protest: Simon J. Ortiz's writings on the reservation border town of Gallup, NM" appeared in the Fall 2019 issue of Interdisciplinary Humanities. I will be presenting a selection from my most recent essay "Simon J. Ortiz and the Power of Recognition" at the American Literature Association's Annual Conference in July 2021.
In my free time, I enjoy reading, crossword puzzles, cards, board games, and-if I'm being completely honest-watching too much TV. I love to explore the natural beauty of the region through camping, mountain biking, hiking, and backpacking.
- PhD, University of New Mexico, 2011, English
- MA, Portland State University, 2006, English
- BA, Minnesota State University-Moorhead, 2001, English
- English 100: Integrated Reading & Writing
- English 1100: Accelerated Composition
- English 1120: Composition II
- English 1410: The Study of Literature
- English 2120: Intermediate Composition
Nearly 15 years of experience teaching Composition and Literature courses at institutions, including UNM-Albuquerque, Central New Mexico Community College, and UNM-Gallup.
- "Poetry and Protest: Simon J. Ortiz's writings on the reservation border town of Gallup, NM." Interdisciplinary Humanities (Fall 2019): 61-72.
- Kuchera, Carolyn. "Manifest Destiny." In Oxford Bibliographies in American Literature. Eds. Jackson Bryer, Richard Kopley, and Paul Lauter. New York: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- "A Recovered Interview with W.D. Howells." American Literary Realism 44.1 (Fall 2011): 74-79.
- "Simon J. Ortiz and the Power of Recognition." American Literature Association Annual Conference. Boston, July 2021.
- "Poetry and Protest: Simon J. Ortiz's writings on the reservation border town of Gallup, NM." Western Literature Association Annual Conference. St. Louis, MO, October 2018.
- "Broken Spokes: Cultural and Commercial Transit in the Indigenous Hub of Gallup, NM." Western Literature Association Annual Conference. St. Louis, MO, October 2018.
- "Farming on the Margins: Interpreting Agricultural Borderlands." American Literature Association Symposium on Frontiers and Borders in American Literature. San Antonio, TX, February 2016.
- "American Rhythms: Composing Local and National Identity through Music Criticism in the WPA State Guides." Western Literature Association Annual Conference. Victoria, British Columbia, November 2014.
- "Abandoned Farmhouses and Burnt Teepees: Hamlin Garland's Tangled Sympathies." MLA Annual Convention. Chicago, IL, January 2014.
- "Labor(ed) Decisions in Two American Farm Novels from the 1920s." American Literature Association Annual Conference. Boston, MA, May 2013.
- "The Rhetorical Origins of the American Farmer" North Carolina State University. "Manifest Identity: Graduate Student Symposium." Raleigh, NC, February 2011.
- "American Primitives." Northern Arizona University. "Intellectual Intersections: A Multidisciplinary Graduate Student Conference." Flagstaff, AZ, February 2011.
- "American Primitives." University of Georgia. "Wild Things Conference." Athens, GA, November 2010.
- "American Primitives." Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association Annual Convention. Albuquerque, NM, October 2010.
- "Through Dread and Beyond in Great Expectations." Western Conference on British Studies. San Antonio, TX, September 2008.
- "(Un)Framing the Nation: Sara Orne Jewett's The Country of the Pointed Firs." Southwest Symposium. Albuquerque, NM, March 2008.