Loans are available for students or parents to borrow to help pay educational expenses. Students must have a FAFSA submitted in order to be considered for these federal loans. The amount of eligibility is determined by grade level.

Federal Stafford Loans

All loans are subject to individual student eligibility and fund availability. Borrowing should be done conservatively to avoid heavy loan debt and the potential for default.

UNM-Gallup is part of the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans Program effective as of July 1, 2010. UNM-Gallup offers Federal Stafford Loans, which are fixed-rate federal student loans for undergraduates and graduate students attending college at least half-time. Students must be admitted as "degree-seeking" and must be enrolled at least half-time to qualify for federal student loans.

Applying for Loans

To apply for a loan, pick up the form from the Financial Aid office or submit it online:

Financial Aid Forms

For information on repayment visit:

Subsidized Stafford Loans

Subsidized is a need-based loan program in which the government pays the interest that accrues during the student's period of enrollment.

Unsubsidized Stafford Loans

Unsubsidized is a non-need-based loan program in which the interest accrues while the student is attending college. The student has the option of paying the interest while in school on a monthly or quarterly basis or deferring the interest until repayment begins. This accrued interest will be capitalized.

How do I apply for a Subsidized or Unsubsidized loan?

Subsidized or
Unsubsidized Loan

Explore more Financial Aid options:

Grants Loans Work Study FAQ's Links Financial Aid Scholarships